2007-05-22

Why annoy people?

Have you seen the Sonic Drive In ads on TV? Are these the most annoying advertisements ever? Ok, that may be a bit strong. Maybe they are just currently the most annoying ads on TV, not the most annoying of all time. Why would I want to buy food from a place that features idiots? The only thing that I've learned from their ads is that eating Sonic food makes you stupid. Probably not what they had intended. Furthermore, there's not a Sonic within 150 miles of me (the farthest I could search on their website), so why are they even showing me these ads?

Is it ever a good idea to annoy people? What if the matter is important, not just some silly fast food advertisement - is it ok then? What if it has to do with eternal matters, is it ok then? Or is there a better way to reach people besides being annoying?

Just as I am sure there is a better way for Sonic to convince me to eat their food, I am sure that being annoying won't convince non-believers about a God who loves them.

What commercial annoys you the most?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Four words, "This is ouuuuur country!" I think I have that song memorized, and I secretly hate John Mellencamp for it.

That, and every TNT commercial for their upcoming shows. Especially "House of Pain". Arg.

Bill A said...

Oh great, now I am going to have that song stuck in my head all night. LOL....

William Franklin Ruck said...

You know, Bill...
The mere fact that you went to Sonic's website to find out that the nearest location is 150 miles away, along with the probability that you will go to a Sonic when there finally is one in close proximity to you (after all, you've already ripped their commercials and visited their website, you may as well go check out the food, right?) proves the success of the Sonic ads...

Bill A said...

Interesting theory, but I just can't see it happening. Maybe if they ever build a Sonic reasonably close.... but at the moment I just can't see it.

Ausbury said...

They show those Sonic commercials here in Northeast Ohio too and I haven't seen a Sonic since I moved back here from Texas. There's a commercial on a local cable channel here where they bleep out the "F" word at the end. Can you believe that?