2009-10-20

Risky Business


Recently son #2 very thoughtfully bought me a package of Jelly Bellies. He was getting himself a bag and he remembered dear ol' dad and got me one too. That's my boy.

So for the past few days I've been snacking on Jelly Bellies while I work on the computer in the evening. The problem is, eating Jelly Bellies is risky business. The bag I have has 30 different flavors. My unscientific guess is about a quarter of those flavors are just plain old nasty. You never know what flavor your going get. You could get a couple of great ones and then one that tastes like the cross between the bottom of a coffee cup and an ashtray. Not that I've ever tried eating either one of those, but I imagine that's what it might taste like. When I mentioned it to son #2 as we were in the car headed somewhere, he laughed and said "Oh, that's the cappuccino. I didn't like it either." That's my boy.

Eating Jelly Bellies is not the only activity that is risky. In fact all of life is risky. People often comment that my riding motorcycles is risky. And there is an element of risk to riding. But anyone could trip, fall and die at almost anytime. Life is fragile and valuable. You can't just stay at home and avoid all risks. That's no way to live. The Christian life is no different. Often we long for safety, security and assurance. And while I understand that, being a follower of Christ should have an element of risk to it. You should be out there doing things, and some of those things will be risky in nature. People might laugh at you, or belittle you for your beliefs, or cuss you out, or who knows what. But how much did Jesus risk for you?

Reminds me of the old quote.
"A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for."
John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

Are you hanging out in the harbor when you should be out sailing? What are you built for? Are you willing to take the risk to find out? That's worth pondering about.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bill, you make it sound soo beautifully easy to go sailing the high seas. To take risks in life. But I must tell you it isn't easy! Not one iota. The government, the economy, working in the world` not being of the world, & yet not worrying over anything - praying about everything makes life so difficult to not be afraid. Not for myself but for my kids & grandson. I know what I believe. I know what to watch for & choose. I know where I am going. But do my kids? Did I fail as a parent if my children don't choose what I taught them? Did I fail God? I don't think they even have a clue of whats coming. I mean I can see so much & they just think I am old school. That I am not hip....

Hmm, writing this made me realize what I am looking for... I want to take satan's persecutions with a smile on my face, a song in my heart, & a spring in my step in order for the non-believers to want what I have. Or more precisely for my children to want what I have.. a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Then I wouldn't be afraid.