2007-09-02

Rescued

We woke up this morning to find this little guy (gal?) swimming in our pool. Not sure how long he had been in there, but he was looking pretty tired. It was obvious he wanted out. It was also obvious he wasn't too thrilled with me. He kept hissing at me. But pretty quickly I figured out he was all bark and no bite. He was too tired and too desperate to complain too much. He needed my help, but he wasn't sure he really wanted my help. As soon as I picked him up and he realized he was safe, he was pretty happy. In fact, I had to struggle to get him out of my hand. He was wet, tired, shaking and worn out. I think the warmth and safety of my hand were reassuring to him.

It made me think of our relationship with God. It's so easy for Him to rescue us. But we aren't sure we want His help, yet how badly we need it. Once we allow Him to help us out, we realize how reassuring His presence is. We realize how much we actually need His assistance.

Tired of swimming all the time and trying to do everything yourself? What's stopping you from allowing God to give you hand?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, good object lesson.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and sometimes we hiss and bite at Him too...
Found your blog by chasing links. I like it. Care to exchange links with me?

Bill A said...

Thanks for thumbs up.

paul j., you'll be getting an email from me.