2007-03-31

91% of Americans believe in God

A recent Newsweek poll reveals some interesting information.
A belief in God and an identification with an organized religion are widespread throughout the country, according to the latest NEWSWEEK poll. Nine in 10 (91 percent) of American adults say they believe in God and almost as many (87 percent) say they identify with a specific religion. Christians far outnumber members of any other faith in the country, with 82 percent of the poll’s respondents identifying themselves as such.
Read the entire Newsweek article here.

Wow! 91% of Americans believe in God.
87% identify with a specific religion.

That's great!

But I have a question. When was the last time 91%, or even 87%, of the people in your community were at church during weekend services? I bet most communities average numbers much closer to single digit percentages. What have we done wrong in our churches that cause so many people to say they believe in God, yet so few show that belief?

That's worth pondering about. If you have an idea, I'd like to hear it. I'd like to make sure my church isn't making that mistake.

2 comments:

Granimore said...

I don't think churches are making the mistake. I believe most of those people who are in that 91% are merely paying lip service to God and their denominations. They want the "safety and security" of saying the believe in God, but they don't want to pick up their cross and follow Him.

Bill A said...

I'm afraid you may be correct.